Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!




Can I tell you a secret?
I cannot stand Corned beef, or cabbage...
I know I suck...
I do however love Irish Soda Bread.

I decided to go with the most traditional recipe I could find and oh boy it is simple!

The recipe is
4 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 1/2 cups of buttermilk**

Preheat your oven to 425 and grease and flour a round cake pan.
Sift together your dry ingredients and slowly add in the buttermilk to make a sticky dough.
Place on a lightly floured surface and gently knead.Do not over knead! If you over knead too much gas will escape.
Place the kneaded dough into the round cake pan and press into a round shape. Cut a cross into the dough.
Cover with another pan and bake for 30 minutes.
Cook uncovered for an additional 15.
Tap the bottom of the bread. It will make a hollow sound when done.


**If you don't have any Buttermilk on hand add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to just under 1 cup of milk, and let sit for 5 minutes. For this recipe use 2 tablespoons of vinegar to just under 2 cups of milk.


Have fun everyone and remember that sometimes imperfections are good!

No comments: